WSSFContrib VB.net extension

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Hi there,

I am in the middle of building a Proof of concept service to persuade our business guys to use WSSF and WCF.

We program in VB.net and I have been trying to get the vb.net extension sourcecode installed and running.

On the downloads page it mentions you should be able to build an MSI from the source code.

How do I do this?

I have tried following the 'Installation Instructions for Source Code Installer When Using Visual Studio Professional Edition or Team Architect Edition'

for the downloaded vb.net extension source code and I can get the solution to build and register the guidance package but when I open up a WSSF project I get the following error

'%projectname%.ssfproduct' cannot be opened because its project type (.ssfproduct) is not supported by this version of the application'

Any ideas?

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Hi,

When you deploy your generated project and solution you should remove the model project (.ssfproduct) extension algon with its files. That project is for design time only.

If you require to distibute the tool (WSSF+VB.NET extension) then you need to generate the msi according to the documentation for source code distribution and inbstall all the requirments in the deployment environment. 

Regards,

Hernan

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:22 PM

The bit I am missing is the 'generate the msi according to the documentation for source code distribution'

Which documentation does this come under? Is it contained within the ServiceFactoryDocs.chm?

Thanks

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:24 PM

You can take a look at this Hands-on Lab, http://servicefactory.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=7847 in the "Common Steps" section and "Build a Custom Installer..." paragraph.

Here is a transcript of that section:

Building a Custom Installer for the Service Factory: Modeling Edition

To be able to build a new installer (.msi file) for a customized Service Factory, you should perform the following steps:

1. Obtain a Package Load Key for the following Visual Studio Packages:
    • DataContractDslPackage 
    • Package Guid: 1a168a56-ee16-4520-a071-3431a82d3e1f
    • ServiceContractDslPackage 
    • Package Guid: 43805256-e844-436e-8835-035cc972a441
    • HostDesignerDslPackage 
    • Package Guid: 433e3a20-4740-4938-8c81-adf28d430188
    • ModelProjectPackage 
    • Package Guid: 3a053d37-49a0-4713-a3c4-6161158fb0c4  

Note: For information about how to obtain a Package Load Key, see How to: Obtain a PLK in the Visual Studio SDK documentation. When obtaining a Package Load Key, you should modify the Company Name and Product Version fields.

2. Replace the following values with the respective Package Load Key values:
    1. ##DataContractModelPackageLoadKey## found in the DSLs\Data Contract\DataContractDslPackage project in the VSPackage.resx file.
    2. ##HostDesignerModelPackageLoadKey## found in the DSLs\Host Designer\HostDesignerDslPackage project in the VSPackage.resx file.
    3. ##ServiceContractModelPackageLoadKey## found in the DSLs\Service Contract\ServiceContractDslPackage project in the VSPackage.resx file.
    4. ##ModelProjectPackageLoadKey## found in the Model Project\ModelProject project in the ModelProjectPackage.resx file.
  3. Un-comment the PackageLoadKey attributes in the following files:
    1. ModelProjectPackage.cs in the Model Project\ModelProject project.
    2. GeneratedCode\Package.tt in the DSLs\Service Contract\ServiceContractDslPackage project.
    3. GeneratedCode\Package.tt in the DSLs\Host Designer\HostDesignerDslPackage project.
    4. GeneratedCode\Package.tt in the DSLs\Data Contract\DataContractDslPackage project.
  4. In Solution Explorer, click Transform All Templates.
  5. In Visual Studio, set the active build configuration to Release.
  6. Rebuild the Service Factory Guidance Package solution.
  7. A new Windows Installer (.msi)should be available in the bin\release folder inside the Service Factory Installer project.

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Thanks I will give that a go.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Good news, I have produced a MSI and it has installed ok.

I can now create a WSSF project. I will go through and create a model.

Where do I set the VB.net options or will it be obvious?

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Yes the VB.net options are obvious but...

I am getting the following error when trying to associate a fault on my service contract to a data fault contract.

'Can't access DSL Integration service'

I think I have tracked this down using the tools->Package Load Analyzer to a PlK verification error for the DSL Designer.

Failed to read one of the following values for the package {d6803737-b58c-4e09-b555-edabe498debb} - Company Name, Package Guid, Product Name, Product Version, Mininimum Edition.

Plk verification was based on the following entries in the registry -

CompanyName -

ProductName -

ProductVersion -

MinEdition -

ID -

From reading other threads it maybe related to the Company name I gave during PLK generation.

What should the company name be(so i can regenerate my PLK) or how can I change the associated company name?

I have searched my registry for d6803737-b58c-4e09-b555-edabe498debb and cannot see an associated company name.

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Here you have some links that might hopefully point you in the right direction;

http://servicefactory.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=30874  (second post)

http://www.baekdorf.dk/christian/2008/09/27/DSLAndVisualStudioShellTutorialCreatingASampleDSL.aspx  (Section, Adding a Package Load Key (PLK))

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb165395%28VS.80%29.aspx (How to obtain a PLK key).